Carrot, Chickpea & Kale Moroccan Style Stew
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion – diced
6 "short & sweet" carrots - peeled and cut into 2 cm half moons
4 garlic cloves - peeled and chopped
2tsp Harissa paste
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 medium tomatoes alternatively use 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
500 ml Vegetable stock
2 tins of chick peas – drained from liquid
1 handful of curly kale or spinach
1 tbsp of low fat crème fraiche (optional)
Sprig of Coriander
Salt & pepper for seasoning
- In a large pan, place the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions, carrots & garlic, stir well and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the fennel seeds, harissa paste, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and tomato paste to the pan and stir well. It will form a thick paste.
- Then add the tomatoes to the pan and cooked for another 5 to 6 minutes, until reduced down.
- Add the vegetable stock & the chickpeas to the pan and season with the salt and pepper, cook for 15 minutes until the stew looks a good consistency & glossy
- Finally, add a handful of kale a couple of minutes before finishing cooking. ( So the kale doesn’t discolour)
- Taste and adjust more Harissa if necessary
Place the stew in a large bowl and garnish with a blob of crème fraiche & chopped fresh coriander
You can add a lovely piece of grilled marinated salmon and place it on top of the stew. Delicious!
This dish can be made Vegan without the crème fraiche.