1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
50g plain flour
85gr gram flour (chick pea flour)
230 ml cold water
½ tsp salt
Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a bowl mix the flours, salt & spices and the cold water to form a smooth batter. Stir in the chilli flakes & the fresh chopped coriander. Set aside for 15 minutes
- Top & Tail the aubergines, slice into 1 cm rounds with sprinkle of salt and set aside. Dry with kitchen roll.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan, to check the temperature of the oil drop a piece of bread and see if it quickly rises to the surface, which means the oil is at temperature.
- Whisk the batter gently, the batter is now ready to fry the aubergines. Dip each slices in the batter and ensure both sides are well coated and gently drop them in the oil.
- Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes on each sides.
- Once golden brown, drain with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
Serve the fritters hot with a refreshing mint & cucumber yoghurt dip
Delicious! Enjoy with a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc