Aubergine & Cashew Tagine
Aubergine & cashew tagine
- 100g of cashew nuts
- 200g of 7 mix grains
- 6 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 knob of fresh ginger, 2cm long, grated
- 2 tbsp of tomato purée
- a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250ml of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp of sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 50g of sultanas
- 2 tsp saffron strands, soaked in 1 tbsp of warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 Green Knight aubergines, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 bunch of coriander, chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp of yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- Pre –Heat oven at 200 degrees Celcius and place the cashews on a tray and roast for 6 minutes until golden brown.
- In a pan of water, part cooked the grains, half the time stated on the packet.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and fry off the diced onions, season with salt & pepper and saute for about 10 min until they are soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the tomato puree, the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, vinegar, treacle, sultanas and the saffron to the pan and remove from the heat.
- Heat a dry large frying pan and add the spice mix and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the aroma release of great smell.
- Place the dry mix spices into a pestle and mortar and crush down.
- Season the diced aubergines with the spices and fry them in a frying pan with vegetable oil, cook until golden brown.
- Add half the coriander to the casserole and mix well. Add the part cooked grains to the pan and the aubergines, finally sprinkle some cashew nuts, mix well and transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes until soft and the sauce is thickened.
Place the tagine in a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining cashew nuts & coriander
This vegan dish is healthy and full of nutrients. Enjoy!